ACTIVELY GREEN 2015
In February 2015, the spotlight returns to the Vail Valley during the FIS Alpine World Ski Championships.
This rapidly-approaching event presents our community with a golden opportunity to elevate our sustainability performance, while further solidifying our reputation as a world-class tourism destination and event host.
Introducing Actively Green 2015, an innovative community-driven program that will transform the Vail Valley into a globally-recognized sustainable destination.
A true collaboration, Actively Green is a partnership between the globally recognized nonprofit Sustainable Travel International, the Walking Mountains Science Center, the Town of Vail and the Vail Valley Foundation.
The objectives of this ambitious first-of-its kind effort are to:
- Educate and Certify at least 100 businesses in the community on a set of internationally-recognized sustainability best practices
- Benchmark and Report on data across key performance indicators, helping destination decision-makers to identify successes and opportunities
- Tell a compelling Sustainability Success Story through campaigns that touch visitors and community members alike
The projected outcome? A generation-spanning legacy — one which will ensure the destination inspires residents and engages visitors, while remaining vibrant and resource-rich for the long term.
What is Actively Green 2015? How can I participate?
The Actively Green 2015 initiative will support the integration, adoption, and certification of sustainability best practices for at least 100 businesses across the Vail Valley.
Businesses from any sector are eligible to participate, from accommodations and tour operator to restaurants and retail companies. Patrons and guests are encouraged to think about being Actively Green in 2015 when planning their World Championships Experience.
How will we accomplish our objectives?
1) Educate and Certify
- A collection of ready-to-use operational tools and resources designed to drive efficiency for businesses across the Vail Valley
- Training sessions and workshops dedicated to building local capacity on the implementation of best practices
- A new Actively Green Eco-Label, designed with the Vail Valley in mind. Participating businesses can earn the label and use it with pride, by demonstrating adherence to a set of 23 baseline criteria
- Support for participation in global eco-certification programs like the Sustainable Tourism Education Program (STEP), designed for businesses looking to achieve higher levels of recognition
2) Benchmark and Report
- A brand-new customized online Sustainability Management System, designed for Vail Valley businesses to measure and manage sustainability impacts
- An opportunity for the destination to manage its performance at scale, through a community dashboard, regular progress reports and a birds-eye view of sustainability opportunities and challenges
- Performance will be tracked across key sustainability indicators such as energy and water usage and conservation, waste generation and recycling, and volunteerism
We envision the 2015 Alpine World Ski Championships as a catalyst of innovation and collaboration that enhances and celebrates our mountain environment for generations to come.
GET ACTIVELY GREEN!
New training dates announced!
*October 15 & 22 or November 12 & 19
Antlers Lodge in Vail
* Participants must attend either the two October sessions OR the two November sessions
Call 970-827-9725 ext. 133 or email email@example.com to sign up!
To learn more or participate in this exciting initiative, please contact Melissa Kirr at the Walking Mountains Science Center at 970-827-9725 ext. 133 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All Mountain Technologies
Antlers Lodge at Vail
Arriesgado Clothing Company Ltd.
Bear Paw Lodge
Beaver Creek Landing
Beaver Creek Lodge
Beck Building Company
Colorado Mountain College, Edwards
Colorado Mountain Express
Colorado Ski & Snowboard Museum
Dionysus Hospitality Group
Dobson Ice Arena
Double Diamond Real Estate
Eagle County Airport
Eagle Point Resort
Eagle Rance Association
Eagle River Water & Sanitation District
Eagle Valley Senior Life
Four Seasons Resort and Residences
Group 970 Restaurants
Habitat For Humanity
Holy Cross Energy
Inn & Suites at Riverwalk
KZYR – The Zephyr
Lion Square Lodge
New Electric Colorado
Northwood Condominium Association
Nova Guides, Inc
Pan for Hire
Peak 1 Express
Polar Star Properties
Ritz Carlton Club & Residences
Ski & Snowboard Club Vail
Slifer Smith & Frampton
The Charter at Beaver Creek
The Sebastian Vail
The Wren at Vail
Town of Avon
Town of Vail
Vail Cascade Resort
Vail Jazz Foundation
Vail Mountain Coffee & Tea
Vail’s Mountain Haus
Vilar Performing Arts Center
Vail Racquet Club
Vail Valley Foundation
Vail Valley Jet Center
Vail Valley Medical Center
Vail Valley Partnership
Vail Spa Condominiums
Walking Mountains Science Center
Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa
West Vail Liquor Mart